Virgin of Vladimir (+ image by the hand of Stephen Allison 2008)

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Welcome to the battle

Notes of meeting on 31 August 2010

Welcome to the battle, are you ready for the fight against spiritual forces.
Equip yourselves with the Armour of God.

Ephesians 6 v 10 - 20
10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

Picture of Jesus on the Cross blood and water flowing from him onto a hard rock that is softened by the flow and brought to new life.

Living water


Ephesians 3 v 14 - 21

14For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.



Isaiah 56 v 1 - 8
1 This is what the LORD says:
"Maintain justice
and do what is right,
for my salvation is close at hand
and my righteousness will soon be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man who does this,
the man who holds it fast,
who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it,
and keeps his hand from doing any evil."

3 Let no foreigner who has bound himself to the LORD say,
"The LORD will surely exclude me from his people."
And let not any eunuch complain,
"I am only a dry tree."

4 For this is what the LORD says:
"To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths,
who choose what pleases me
and hold fast to my covenant-

5 to them I will give within my temple and its walls
a memorial and a name
better than sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name
that will not be cut off.

6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the LORD
to serve him,
to love the name of the LORD,
and to worship him,
all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
and who hold fast to my covenant-

7 these I will bring to my holy mountain
and give them joy in my house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
will be accepted on my altar;
for my house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations."

8 The Sovereign LORD declares—
he who gathers the exiles of Israel:
"I will gather still others to them
besides those already gathered."


The Lord can save even those outside the Church - no one is outside God's love and mercy and justice.

Are we using our Gifts with integrity ('integrity' also translates as 'righteousness' or 'truth') and authenticity not for our own glory or prestige. Do we bear the Fruit of the Spirit especially love in our lives and in the use of our gifts.
see:

Galations 5 v 22 - 23
22 But the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfullnes, 23 humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these.


1 Corinthians 13 .
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
1 Corinthians 14
1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.


It would be profitable to read all of Chapters 13 and 14 of 1 Corinthians which contain some great teaching on the gifts and how to use them with integrity.


Moses is an example of an intercessor pleading with God for the people, that is both God's chosen people and Moses own people the Israelites. Moses reminds God of the promises he has made with regard to the people.
God continues to love his people no matter how far they remove themselves from him. Are we called to pray for our own people that is our Country, our Church, all Christians, and indeed the whole of humankind?

Bind up the broken hearted


I lost my notes from the meeting so apologies for anything that was missed - if anyone feels something important has been left out please let me know. Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment