Virgin of Vladimir (+ image by the hand of Stephen Allison 2008)

Monday 25 February 2013

40 Days For Life - Prayers Day 15 to Day 21




Day 15

Whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. Luke 14: 27

Lord, help me to make my attitude toward the mothers and fathers of the unborn who are desperate enough to contemplate abortion one of humility, empathy, and love rather than of judgment. Help me to understand that those who work in the abortion industry often began that work with the best of intentions and may be personally dismayed by abortion itself. Remind me of my own sins you have graciously forgiven so that I remember that forgiveness is possible for all who are willing to repent of their sins and truly believe. Amen.



Day 16

The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbour his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. Psalm 103: 8– 12

Lord, I thank you for the Charlies of the world— people who have acknowledged their wrongdoing, have sought forgiveness for it, and now model for the rest of us the life of the sinner saved by grace, living in humble thanks for that forgiveness. Help all of us in the pro-life movement to see a potential Charlie in each of the young mothers and fathers who approach abortion centres as we stand and pray on the sidewalks. And help me to become more like Charlie myself. Amen.



Day 17

Away from me, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping. The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer. All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish; they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame. Psalm 6: 8– 10

Lord, sometimes I say “It feels like forty years, not forty days. Is it ever going to end?” Remind me then that you haven’t forsaken me or our common struggle to save lives from abortion, and that in the end your will will be done. The enemies of that struggle will be ashamed and dismayed, forced to turn back in disgrace. But better yet, you have given us, through your power, Lord, the possibility of turning enemies into allies and friends. Give me that opportunity today. Amen.



Day 18

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven. Matthew 5: 11– 12

Almighty Father, you allowed your Son to face persecution and ultimately death, and I know that no slave is above his master. Help me be a light in a culture that is trying so hard to forget about your love and sacrifice. I pray for all Christians around the world who are facing persecution for your sake today, no matter what the reason. May your name be glorified through their temporary humiliation. I ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.



Day 19

On that day there will be neither sunlight nor cold, frosty darkness. It will be a unique day— a day known only to the Lord— with no distinction between day and night. When evening comes, there will be light. Zechariah 14: 6– 7

Lord God, help me to see you working in the midst of my earthly discomforts. Give me strength as I grow weary, because I know that persistent prayer can overcome any cold, heat, or persecution. And may I trust you with all results, for you alone have the power to end abortion. Amen



Day 20

Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. Proverbs 24: 11

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6: 12

Lord, make me a vessel of hope to all around me so that as I engage in the difficult work ahead and endure the painful realities of our culture’s rejection of the sanctity of human life, I may experience the peace and joy that come only from you and that no one can take from me. Amen.



Day 21

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8: 38– 39

God, I pray today for the strength to react against the overwhelming circumstances the world presents. I am on earth to serve eternity, and I must keep heaven at the front of my mind in the midst of the many distractions and comforts the world offers that can separate me from you, Lord. Help me to place my confidence in your love, for your love overcomes all things and reunites this broken world with you. Amen.



Bereit, David; Carney, Shawn (2013-01-17). 40 Days for Life: Discover What God Has Done...Imagine What He Can Do (Kindle Locations 2449-2450). Cappella Books. Kindle Edition.





No comments:

Post a Comment