Virgin of Vladimir (+ image by the hand of Stephen Allison 2008)

Thursday 14 February 2013

40 Days For Life - Prayers Day 8 to Day 14





Day 8

The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy. The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendour of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the Lord, the splendour of our God. Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.” Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. The burning sand will become a pool, the thirsty ground bubbling springs. Isaiah 35: 1– 7

Dear Lord, I pray these verses from Isaiah for women who have suffered an abortion. They know the desert. Their souls are parched, their knees give way, their hearts are fearful. Do for them, Lord, what you have done for Katherine, Andrea, and so many other thousands of women. Open their eyes and ears, quench their thirst, fill them until they are bursting with your life and shouting for joy. Use me, Lord, in whatever way you will, to invite them to your streams in the desert. Amen.

Day 9

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6: 9

Dear Lord, help me to accept your timetable rather than insisting on my own and to not be discouraged when the two don’t coincide. When I face frustrations, roadblocks, disappointments, and persecution in my attempts to do your work, as I surely will, help me to not simply bear them but to rejoice in them, because they are what strengthen me and help me to grow to be more like your Son. It is no small privilege to participate with him in his sufferings— even in this small way. Amen.

Day 10

And God heard them, for their prayer reached heaven, his holy dwelling place. 2 Chronicles 30: 27

Lord, the psalms are full of stories of times when David’s enemies came against him, but you interceded on his behalf and confounded the efforts of those enemies so that the things they thought would defeat David defeated them instead. I pray today that you would confound the efforts of those who destroy innocent human life and those who try to thwart the volunteers who stand and pray for the unborn. Let their efforts to defeat us work against them instead. And when they fail, open their eyes to see that they failed not because they opposed us but because they opposed you. Amen.

Day 11

If my people, who are called by name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7: 14

Dear Lord, as you lead me into the spiritual struggle this verse calls your people to, remind me that the battle is truly yours. Thank you for equipping me with your armour. Lead me daily to put it on! Thank you for allowing me to serve under your command and for hearing my requests for direction and protection. Amen.

Day 12
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit— fruit that will last. John 15: 16

Lord, thank you for the many heroes of the pro-life movement— those who have taken brave, principled stands and, in many cases, have paid a high price for it. Thank you for the inspiring leaders who have roused, empowered, and motivated the movement. But help me to also recognise the unsung and often hidden heroes who labour anonymously on the sidewalks, in pregnancy resource centres and pro-life organisations, through one-on-one advocacy— those whose names I don’t know and whose faces I may never see but who make up an indispensable part of the pro-life movement. Remind me to celebrate and affirm both types of heroes whenever I come across them. Amen.

Day 13

For he says, “In the time of my favour I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favour, now is the day of salvation. 2 Corinthians 6: 2

Lord, today I pray for a sense of urgency to defend your unborn children. Every abortion ends the unrepeatable life of an innocent human being made in your image and likeness. Protect me against indifference and renew in me the hope that at any moment your grace and witness can work to save a life so close to being lost. Today is the day of salvation, and in you I place my hope! Amen.

Day 14

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19: 26

Dear Lord, I pray your holy word today. Now to you who are able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to your power that is at work within us, to you, O Lord, be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever!  Amen.




Bereit, David; Carney, Shawn (2013-01-17). 40 Days for Life: Discover What God Has Done...Imagine What He Can Do (Kindle Locations 1784-1785). Cappella Books. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment