Virgin of Vladimir (+ image by the hand of Stephen Allison 2008)

Monday 4 March 2013

40 Days for Life - Prayers Day 22 to Day 28




Day 22

The last will be first, and the first will be last. Matthew 20: 16

O Father, fill me anew with your Spirit. Renew my mind, strengthen me in righteousness, help me and all those who join in this battle for the unborn to be people of salt and light. May every human being, from conception to natural death, be treated with the respect due those made in your image. Amen.

Day 23

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4: 7

God Almighty, having accepted your Son’s sacrifice on my behalf, I in turn present myself to you as a living sacrifice. Thank you for deeming me holy and acceptable because of Christ’s shed blood for me. I pray that you would help me to fight the good fight and finish the race. Use me as your vessel to rescue others who are perishing. Amen.

Day 24

What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. Do not be afraid. Matthew 10: 27– 28

Lord, help me to be faithful and to overcome whatever challenges come my way as I seek to protect the well-being of God’s people. I pray for your continued guidance and protection. May I be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in your work, knowing that my labour will not be in vain. Amen.

Day 25

This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. Luke 24: 46– 48

Dear Jesus, what can I say in response to your sacrifice on our behalf? The pain you bore, the anguish of spirit— and you did it all so that we could be reconciled to your father. Thank you for daily reminding me of this, of all the benefits I have in life— and the life to come— because of that sacrifice, and of my privilege to bear witness to the world of all that I have seen. Amen.

Day 26

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1: 5

Father of mercy and grace, thank you for the gift of children. Grant that every fibre of my being may rejoice when a new baby is born into the world. Help me to be, for those newborn, a light shining in the darkness, welcoming them as I would welcome you. For whenever a new baby is conceived, another life to bear your image and another voice to praise and worship you is beginning. Amen.

Day 27

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13: 12– 13

O God, our heavenly Father, give me courage and wisdom. Help me to realise that your divine Spirit alone can change hearts and minds so that all your human creatures may enjoy the fullness of life you intended for them. Amen.

Day 28

Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. John 16: 22– 23

Almighty Father, you are the author of life. It’s easy to become discouraged as I see evil becoming commonplace around me. Remind me, when discouragement takes over, that you have promised to give us what we ask in your name. That gives me, and those of us who serve you, the capacity to change the world and trust you with the results. Let me use that privilege in such a way that the world may see you glorified. Amen.




Bereit, David; Carney, Shawn (2013-01-17). 40 Days for Life: Discover What God Has Done...Imagine What He Can Do (Kindle Locations 3124-3126). Cappella Books. Kindle Edition.



No comments:

Post a Comment